mouse crazy

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 7 19:31:10 UTC 2009

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> One computer is of my wife (Windows). It used usb mouse. Another
> computer is mine (Linux). It also uses usb mouse.
>
> On both, mouse worked great, until I touched it.
>
> I swear, I did not do anything wrong!!!
>
> I just connected mouse to another usb outlet. Connecting back to
> previous usb slot did not help.
>
> Now, the mouse pointer on any of them (Windows or Linux) behaves
> sometime in a crazy way. Not always. We still can use it. But sometime
> it wonders out, to screen borders. Without fucken clear reason. This
> makes me crazy. And my wife becomes crazy too. She threatens to
> divorce me.
>
> Any idea? About the mouse, not my wife, I mean.

You can get this behaviour with optical / laser mice when they are used
highly reflective surfaces like marble, formica (plastic laminate),
stainless steel, etc. When I was at Ryerson, the computer lab tables
were covered with shiny, black formica and I used to take a sheet of
construction paper with me to use as a mousing surface so as to
eliminate the erratic cursor.

HTH

John