Updating the kernel version on the Debian 5.0 installer

Wed May 6 21:03:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 04:40:10PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 04:07:04PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>>   I've got a shiny new box I am assembling as a server. It's an Intel
>> DQ45EK system board using an Xeon E3110 CPU. Joy!

>The simplest option is to download the full cd 1 and install from that
>without networking, then get the 2.6.29 kernel from unstable and install
>that, then install everything else you need by network.
>
>The other option is to add a temporary PCI network card that is supported,
>install, then upgrade the kernel, then remove the temp card.
>
>Both methods will take a lot less time than trying to make a custom
>installer.  I have done that, and it is a pain in the ass.

I would second Lennart's suggestion, with one caveat.  I put in a
temporary PCI NIC in a machine I bought, and never got around to
updating the kernel to use the onboard NIC :-)

Someone once said that makeshifts last the longest.  Stonehenge was
probably the temporary observatory until they got the new one built :-)
--

yours,

William