Updating the kernel version on the Debian 5.0 installer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 6 20:40:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 04:07:04PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I've got a shiny new box I am assembling as a server. It's an Intel
> DQ45EK system board using an Xeon E3110 CPU. Joy!
>
>   However, the onboard 82567LM-3 Gigabit NIC uses the e1000e driver from
> the 2.6.28 kernel version. The install CD/DVD, however, uses the 2.6.26
> kernel. No Joy. :(
>
>   So then, can anyone pass along advice on how to re-roll the install
> CD/DVD ISO but with the 2.6.28 kernel?

Not trivial to do.  It is quite a bit of work actually.  And you would
want to go to 2.6.29 since at least debian has that packaged in unstable.

The simplest option is to download the full cd 1 and install from that
without networking, then get the 2.6.29 kernel from unstable and install
that, then install everything else you need by network.

The other option is to add a temporary PCI network card that is supported,
install, then upgrade the kernel, then remove the temp card.

Both methods will take a lot less time than trying to make a custom
installer.  I have done that, and it is a pain in the ass.

--
Len Sorensen