off topic, yet on

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 6 17:28:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 04:27:42PM +0000, Peter wrote:
> Fwiw i had to resort to getright on vista to get it going. Konqeror failed to
> get it on linux. Default handler for html was set to firefox, perhaps that's the
> reason. In any case, there will be NO third party d/l manager on my laptop under
> linux, EVER. I have better things to do than to discover that something is
> trying to update 200MB or exposes donkey ports to the firewall detectors when i
> connect through expensive airtime or through some begged off corporate network
> access.
>
> The actual d/l link seems to be static (does not change between attempts - I had
> to try several times to get it going). It looks like a data warehousing 'key'
> added to the file name (Akmai and company type). Really idiotic for them not to
> allow normal downloads though. On the other hand, it fits in with most company
> policy decisions, so ...

Well I simply looked at the page source, took the http url ending in
.iso, ignored the parameters, and asked wget to get it, and off it went
at the full 10mbit speed of my cable connection.

So certainly the server doesn't mind if you don't use a download manager
and don't pass in any parameters.

My mistake though.  Opera worked, konqueror was its usual awful mess.

So the urls in the source are:

http://wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/release/windows7/4/0/c/40c1e714-7910-4b38-9b5e-67fa522e6a44/7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culfrer_en_dvd.iso
http://wb.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/release/windows7/e/b/5/eb58e76e-17fa-409b-855f-11fbe84d1c93/7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso

There you go.  Use whatever you want.