sun^H^H^Horacle impact on open source products ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed May 6 14:37:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 02:54:51AM +0000, Peter wrote:
> I wonder why no-one has reacted to the Sun->Oracle takeover, knowing that at
> least 3 open source products have thus passed into new hands. OpenOffice,
> VirtualBox and Java (and OpenSolaris) are now controlled by Oracle. Oracle
> bought sleepycat, makers of the dbm library used by mySQL, a competing product
> of Oracle's database products. So far, so good. What about tomorrow ? Is this
> the new patent clutching gorilla ?

I thought sun also included mysql.

Honestly I think most people don't care what oracle did since for the
most part what sun is doing doesn't really matter much anymore.

If people care about mysql (I never have understood why they would
personally given how much better postgresql is), then they will fork or
do something if it becomes necesary.

As for java, well I keep hoping that awful fad will die out soon, but
it doesn't seem like it will.  Maybe microsoft could stop on it a bit
harder or something.

Openoffice is a mess, which seems to be the state of most things that
started as proprietary software and then got oipensources when the owners
gave up on it.  This is also tru of mozilla/firefox.  Awful mess.

So quite honstly, who cares what oracle or sun is doing. :)

--
Len Sorensen