Firefox on Windows (cough ... ) problem

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 6 04:34:51 UTC 2009

On May 5, 2009 05:27:15 pm bob 295 wrote:
> My brother uses Firefox on Windows on my insistance that it is the least he
> could do to improve his web security.     However, he went ahead and
> upgraded to the latest and greatest version of Firefox the other day and
> now the startup time for the app is long enough to brew a pot of coffee and
> drink it too.    Alas I only run Linux and a Mac here so I'm not much use
> when it comes to the HowTo do things Windows.
>
> How does one downgrade a Firefox installation on Windows?
>
> Thanks.
>
> bob

First try running it with a new (empty) profile. Firefox performance problems
are often (usually?) caused by corruptions or misconfigurations in a profile.

You can create a new profile (and switch between them) with the Firefox
profile manager -- "firefox -profilemanager". There may be an icon for it on
Windows.

If the performance problem goes away, you have two choices:

1. Figure out what's busted in the old profile and fix it
2. Migrate needed settings to the new profile and delete the old one

Another possibility is various plugins. For instance, recent versions of the
JRE install a Firefox "quick start" plugin or addon, one or the other (I guess
it's a preloader) which would affect Firefox startup time.

If it's not a profile problem, can you get a list of all addons and plugins?