Firefox on Windows (cough ... ) problem

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 6 02:42:53 UTC 2009

| From: Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>

| D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
|
| > I understand that there have also been security upgrades to IE recently, one of which has been to switch everyone to IE8.  I could be wrong since I don't pay attention to Windows or IE.
| >
| In my limited sample size (two Windows systems; one Vista, one XP) my
| experience is that IE7 users are getting IE upgrades, and I was
| surprised to see that IE8 is not listed as a necessary or even
| recommended optional install from Windows Update. I had to manually go
| to the IE8 site to manually initiate a download.

>From usually unreliable sources:

  IE8 Released As Critical Update For XP:
    http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/28/2322248

  IE8 Update Forces IE As Default Browser
    http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/01/002237

  Prepare for Automatic Update distribution of IE8
    http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2009/04/10/prepare-for-automatic-update-distribution-of-ie8.aspx

  Internet Explorer 8 Delivery through Automatic Updates
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/updatemanagement/dd365125.aspx

Not that I've read all these.