How to mass Search & Replace in text files.

Lance F. Squire lance-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri May 1 16:27:57 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Your question about recursive searching shows that you haven't got a
> good internal model about how the shell ecosystem works.

Is it showing!... ;)

I have only used shell to do basic file moves/renames and launching
other programs.

> If you want recursion, you generally have to use find(1).  The latest
> BASH (which you probably don't have) adds ** for this purpose.

Thought so, but doesn't hurt to ask. (much... :) )

> Here's a guess.  Untested.  Any bug might be very destructive.
>
>   find /root/of/tree/with/html -name '*.html' -print0 \
>   | xargs --no-run-if-empty --null sed -i -e 's/BadJS//g'

So far the make-up of the JS has foiled my attempts at 's/JS//'.

I tried manually \ escaping the JS in a perl script, to no avail.

As this script is between the </head> and <body> tags, can we say
'everything between'?

> Notes:
>

> - are you sure that this is all the damage that needs fixing?
>   Proving that would seem tough and a mistake might be bad.

All the files are (supposed to be) raw html. No scripts etc.

Lance