speeding up bios POST

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 30 02:10:23 UTC 2009

that does sound unusually long,
if you want really fast boot,
i just bought a intel flash 32GB solid state drive,
with the insanely small "seek time",
it max's out the sata3 bus for reads, and almost for writes,
it speed up the kernel boot up by say only 2X
but the gnome desktop bootup!! it went from
(with a normal hard drive) to seeing the different
modules of gnome (icons) come up, then go to desktop,
to , do fast you cant see the different modules, to
basically 1 second to the desk top.
Generally it speed up everything by a solid 2-3 times,
but anything that is many file opening at once,
say a big app going after much .so's/dll
wow!  you can easily see 20X speed up.
a bit pricy at 400$ for 32GB, but it will come down soon enough.
I am going to raid-0 (or 50-60) 6-8 or so of these together to max out a
3ware pciE card, get hopefully about 1.5GB/second transfer,
be nice to tranfer a DVD worth of data in 3 seconds!!
The way flash drives are going (i.e. platter HD's are basically dead now),
this will probably be normal speeds (for disk access) for people in 3-4 years.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>