OT: photoshop on Windows

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 27 18:16:14 UTC 2009

William Muriithi wrote:
> I have a friend running photoshop version 11.0.1.0 for a while now,
>
> but he has been dogged with a problem of it slowing the whole system
> down. After a reboot, it does perform is an acceptable manner for a
> while - 30 minutes, then slows down until the system is unusable. At
> that point, the only solution is to reboot the system. I googled a
> while back on it with no pointer for a permanent solution, so I set
> the system optimized for performance at the expense of appearance.
> This now allow the system to run for around 3 hours as opposed to 30
> minutes
>
> Now, would there be anyone among us who have noticed this kind of
> problem? Did you ever come across a solution for it? Personally, I
> feel its some kind of a memory leak, but googling for photoshop +
> memory leak do not pull any interesting search.

I have not seen PS referred to with just a number since version 7. I had
to check that you meant CS4.

I upgraded to CS4 and after 1/2 hour I was on my way to the store to get
a new computer.

AMD quad core, 4 gigs ram, 1.5 TB drive, plue two older IDE drives for
system and PS swap. I am very happy with the performance and have not
experienced anything like you have. But I gave up on my old hardware
pretty quickly.

What hardware were you working with?
Does PS have a dedicated swap drive?
How big are the source files?
Are large numbers of layers being used?
Many open photos at the same time?
Large batch jobs?
Anything else running in the background?

Stephen