Happy Ada Lovelace Day!

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 26 16:16:10 UTC 2009

| From: colin davidson <colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Well, staying out of the cat-fight (and that is a reference to behaviour, not gender) other than to say "A pox on both
| your houses", at the time (and more so earlier in history) is was common usage to refer to the English nobility by their
| family title, especially in the case of the actual title holder, rather than their family name. Look at how often
| Shakespear referred to "Gloucester" or "Leicester". And if you find "Ada Lovelace" a strange useage, ask yourself "what
| was the actual name of the poet Byron?" (her father).

Byron's last name was ... "Byron".

According to Wikipedia, his name, at birth (before he became Baron)
was George Gordon Byron.  Not an accident.  The title was created in
1643 for Sir John Byron, the elder brother of an ancestor.

Something I'm not quite up on is that when you get to change your
name.  Byron's name became Noel, 6th Baron Byron.  Was Noel one of his
names before that?  But then King George VI wasn't known as "George"
before he became king: he was Prince Albert and Bertie to his family.
The Popes all pick new names too.

Shakespeare hardly speaks the way we do now :-)
My recollection of "Glocester" etc. in Shakespeare was that that form
was used to specify (unambiguously and concisely) who was speaking and
not used by the actual speakers.  I could be wrong (too lazy to look).