Help (or those damn newbs!)

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 25 20:09:26 UTC 2009

On 25/03/09 07:53 PM, I. Khider wrote:
> Greetings Fellow Linux Users,
>
> As you may no doubt surmise, my e-mails always travel forward in time,
> while I remain locked in the present (for now).
>
> The time is always off on my computer (I use Gentoo) and my appeals for
> help on the Gentoo IRC yielded little in the way of solutions. Then
> again, I label myself a special strain of dumb ass. I think my time
> setting may be based on pinging a server on the wrong time zone or maybe
> the internal clock on my box. Could someone offer advice for a Gentoo
> newb on how to fix the time?
>
> Advance apologies if my question is too rudimentary....

Try:

   emerge ntpdate
   ntpdate ca.pool.ntp.org
   date

does that show the right time? If so, try a reboot to see if your
internal hardware clock is being updated with system time. If it's not,
you'll have to fix that (no idea how, sorry).

What I do is run a script via cron or on bootup that runs ntpdate to fix
the date. If you need to how how to do that let me know.

Marc

--
If builders built houses the way programmers built programs, the
first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.