Happy Ada Lovelace Day!

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 25 17:29:24 UTC 2009

JoeHill wrote:
> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>
>> Dave Mason wrote:
>>> I am not without a sense of humour.
>>>
>>> However, I find this thread to be sexist and misogynistic.
>>>
>>> Ada Lovelace deserves a place beside Boole and Babbage as the original
>>> pioneers of what would eventually become computer science (there are
>>> those who believe she understood Babbage's work better than he did).  To
>>> demean that memory by a cheap rif on a name shared with a porn star is,
>>> well, let's just go with disappointing.
>>>
>>> It's no wonder that people at large still look on computer geeks as frat
>>> boys, or that young women mostly see no respectful place for themselves
>>> in computer science.
>> Dave, kudos to you for saying what I had been thinking. I would not be
>> quite so harsh with Linda Lovelace though. I read her story many years
>> ago. She was apparently a victim of an abusive man who exploited and
>> coerced her into doing things that she normally wouldn't have done.
>> Unfortunately, it's not exactly a unique story. The Wikipedia page about
>> her <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Lovelace> has more information.
>
> I find both of you have no sense of humour, and sentence you both to be hung by
> the neck until you cheer up.

It's interesting to watch how much further you can stick your foot in
your mouth. Your original "joke" wasn't funny and now you compound it
with another stupid "joke". Hint: a decent person would just say, "On
second thought, I guess that wasn't so funny, I'm sorry." instead of
attempting to deflect attention towards his critics.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis