Ask.com and Firefox

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 25 05:44:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 02:52:49PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote

>> What Firefox version are you using? Did you ever install the Ask.com
>> Toolbar? This can happen inadvertently when installing other things,
>> hence the foistware rap, and can complicate matters.
>
> Firefox 3.0.7 on Ubuntu 8.10.
>
> It's not so obvious as to come back right away. It seems to come
> back after a period of time... Perhaps when Firefox updates? I'll
> have to pay attention when future updates occur.

http://itechlog.com/windows/2009/03/09/remove-askcom-toolbar-on-firefox-ie/
has an item about removing this toolbar from both IE and Firefox.  Here
are the Firefox instructions to change the default search from Ask.com
to Google.com.

* From Firefox

   1. On the address bar type about:config (you will get a warning, be
carefull this is the regedit equivalent on Firefox)
   2. Change the setting - keyword.URL; - from ask.com  to
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&q=
   3. Change the setting - browser.search.defaulturl - from ask.com to
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&q=
   4. change the settings - extension.snipit.chromeURL - from ask.com to
http://www.google.com/search?&q={searchTerms}
   5. restart Firefox