Happy Ada Lovelace Day!

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 25 01:49:47 UTC 2009

Dave Mason wrote:
> I am not without a sense of humour.
>
> However, I find this thread to be sexist and misogynistic.
>
> Ada Lovelace deserves a place beside Boole and Babbage as the original
> pioneers of what would eventually become computer science (there are
> those who believe she understood Babbage's work better than he did).  To
> demean that memory by a cheap rif on a name shared with a porn star is,
> well, let's just go with disappointing.
>
> It's no wonder that people at large still look on computer geeks as frat
> boys, or that young women mostly see no respectful place for themselves
> in computer science.

Dave, kudos to you for saying what I had been thinking. I would not be
quite so harsh with Linda Lovelace though. I read her story many years
ago. She was apparently a victim of an abusive man who exploited and
coerced her into doing things that she normally wouldn't have done.
Unfortunately, it's not exactly a unique story. The Wikipedia page about
her <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Lovelace> has more information.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay