Ask.com and Firefox

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 24 19:54:38 UTC 2009

Madison Kelly wrote:

> It's not so obvious as to come back right away. It seems to
> come back after a period of time. Perhaps when Firefox updates?

Seems likely. Maybe I *will* be able to duplicate the problem.

> "Foistware" is a new one on me, and seems appropriate.

Foistware / Bundleware / Shovelware is software bundled with
completely unrelated programs. A while back, I updated the
RealPlayer stuff (yuck) on a Windows box and received more
than I bargained for. AVG anti-virus quarantined one of the
secretly bundled extras and hollered, "Virus!"

Browser Toolbars of all kinds are commonly installed this way.
Somebody's got to pay for their version of free, right?

.