Ask.com and Firefox

George Nicol gnicol-PeCUgM4zDv73fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 24 18:46:07 UTC 2009

Madison Kelly wrote:

> I've repeatedly removed 'Ask.com' from my Firefox search options.
> It keeps coming back, though.

I can't duplicate your problem. If I pull down the Search Engines list
(at the right of the Location bar), choose Manage Search Engines...
(at the bottom of the list), select Ask.com > click Remove > OK, then
it's removed from the list. When I close and restart Firefox, Ask.com
does not come back. I'm running Firefox 3.0.7 on Ubuntu 8.04.

Ask.com - and their Toolbar especially - have caused removal problems
in the past for Linux and Windows users alike. Some consider it to be
foistware. Formerly, users had to go to Firefox's searchplugins sub-
directory (in Windows, C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins),
and delete both the Ask icon file and the Ask xml file. On my setup,
if I go to /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins, I see only xml files
(plus debsearch.gif and debsearch.src). YMMV.

You're comfortable with power tools so you may alternatively want to
employ about:config ...carefully, if you search for ask.

What Firefox version are you using? Did you ever install the Ask.com
Toolbar? This can happen inadvertently when installing other things,
hence the foistware rap, and can complicate matters.

.