[OT] UPS Advice Please

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 23 17:12:34 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 12:39:48PM -0400, Stephen wrote:
> I see Dell has them for $299 today with free shipping. Still pretty
> good. Tiger Direct is $360 plus shipping.

It weighs 60 pounds.  I don't want to know what shipping costs.

> I am leaning towards placing an order.
>
> But I wonder if I would be better getting a couple of smaller units,
> instead.

The smaller units are generally nothing like the larger ones.

The smartups 1500 is the largest thing you can run on a 15A outlet and
probably the most advanced UPS you can get in that size.  The run time
is very good (the thing has a huge battery, cooling fans, etc) and simply
works great with linux.

Even at $299 it's still quite good.  The $200 deals they offer at times
is just too good to pass up.

--
Len Sorensen