TOC Linux

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 18 20:59:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Randy Jonasz wrote:

> I couldn't agree more!  If anything, people can figure out how to sync their
> balckberrys with Outlook in a matter of minutes.  Trying the same task on
> any linux distro is not so straight forward.  I'm beginning to see the need
> for OSS to polish the design before the desktop arena becomes a viable

That is true I think that a big part of the problem is lack of support
from the vendor.  Linux is not a supported client OS for Blackberry.  If
it was I would expect the sync to be as easy in Linux as it is in
MS-Windows.

[1] What OS does RIM user server side?  Anyone.

> option.  On the server side though, I can't understand why anyone would pay
> a company, like Microsoft for a proprietary solution.  Linux is cheaper,
> solid and easier to maintain.

Here are some concerns that have been raised:

1) It's difficult to find support staff for Linux

As someone who grew up Unix side and knew a lot of Unix admins this came
as a bit of a surprise but it was true, at least for a while.

The explosion of OSS and Linux server-side caused demand of good sysadmins
to completely out strip supply.  These days alot of sysadmins have at
least a working understanding of Linux.

IMHO good sysadmins for any OS are fairly rare but they do tend to hand
around user groups (really).

2) It's difficult to get support.

Too many companies thought that for some reason it was difficult or
impossible to get support for OSS.  This actually makes no sense at all
but the myth persisted for a long time.  If anyone still says this today
ask them to spend 1 minute on a Google search.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy