poll: problems with MTRRs?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 17 07:44:07 UTC 2009

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>

| Somehow Intel didn't notice when they cloned the architecture so the
| P4 didn't have an IOMMU.  I presume they fixed this for Intel Core.
| But where?  The memory controller is on support chips, not the CPU
| chip.

I'm having trouble finding out about VT-D, Intel's name for this
feature.  Specifically: what chips support it.

According to this document it is supported in the 82Q45 Graphics and
Memory Controller Hub (GMCH) and not the other ones described there.
Furthermore, there is a bug that can only be mitigated by not using
VT-D.
  http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/specupdate/319971.pdf

It seems to also be supported by the 82q35 according to
  http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/316966.htm
This is also the only family member that supports Intel Trusted
Execution Technology and Intel Active Management Technolgy, whatever
that is.

So my 4 year old Athlon 64 systems have an IOMMU but my six month old
Core2Quad system does not (it has an 82q33 chip).