TLUG Presentation June 2009: Beginning GIMP

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 17 03:48:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Christopher Browne wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Chris F.A. Johnson <cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Kevin Morris wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like most people want the photo editing presentation. That's
>>> fine by me, I'm sure that there are things I can learn as well. At a
>>> later time if there is an opening for a presentation we can revisit
>>> this topic to see if there will be sufficient interest.
>>>
>>> Richard, unfortunately I don't know how to create images with any
>>> software, other than paint (if that counts ;) ), and so my reason
>>> for asking..
>>
>>    I create images using a text editor.
>>
>>    I write them in PostScript and convert them to GIFs or PNGs with
>>    ImageMagick. For example: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/webcentric/>.
>>
>>    If people are interested, I could prepare a talk on the subject.
>
> My usual inclination when generating graph-like things, these days, is
> to create GraphViz control files using a text editor.
> <http://www.graphviz.org/>

         I rarely use graphs or other types of "business" graphics. The
         last time I did was from 1992 to 1995 when I wrote
         organizational and succession planning chart generators, first
         in Lotus123, then in Excel4 (macros), then in Excel5 (VBA).

         I have put a few of the graphics I have written in PostScript at
         <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/graphics/>. Clicking on an image
         will bring up the PostScript file. The PS is not polished;
         it's first draught quality.

> If I intended to do detailed drawing work, I expect I'd use MetaPost
> <http://www.tug.org/metapost.html>

         What's the point? It is just as easy to write it directly in
         PostScript as to use MataPost to create the PostScript.

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster         <http://woodbine-gerrard.com>
    ========= Do not reply to the From: address; use Reply-To: ========