poll: problems with MTRRs?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 16 20:30:43 UTC 2009

| From: E K <ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>

| I got a Dell Inpiron 530 with 4Gb RAM. The BIOS sees all the 4Gb and
| KUbuntu sees only 3Gb of it. I undertood that that was an upper limit
| for all 32bit OSes. In any case, I am running KUbuntu 7.10 kernel
| 2.6.22.14-generic and my MTRR line is

32-bit x86 kernels usually come in two flavours: with and without PAE
support.  The normal one is without.  The kernel with PAE support can
use all of your RAM.

| [   42.397018] mtrr: no more MTRRs available

I wonder what that is about.  Can you tell me what /proc/mtrr says?

My guess is that all 8 MTRRs are being used and there isn't one free
for the video card's address range.