poll: problems with MTRRs?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 15 20:58:18 UTC 2009

How many of you have x86 computers with 4G or more of RAM?

On many such systems, the MTRRs are set up by the BIOS in a way that
conflicts with X.

I have this problem in both of my machines with 4G or more of RAM (IBM
ThinkPad x61t and HP Pavilion A6245n).

Could you run the following command and tell me about your system if
if grep prints anything?
	dmesg | grep -i mtrr

You might see things like:
  mtrr: type mismatch for d0000000,10000000 old: write-back new: write-combining
  mtrr: no MTRR for d0000000,10000000 found

I'd like to know what distro you are running (/etc/issue) and
what kernel you are running (/proc/version).

I'd like to know what your MTRR's look like.  Could you tell me what
/proc/mtrr says?

I hope to be able to help you if you do find these messages in the
dmesg output.