C++ IDE Recommendation

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 15 00:48:03 UTC 2009

| From: Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>

| I'm looking for an IDE that works in Linux that has good syntax highlighting.

I don't like syntax highlighting so I've no experience with that.

Actually, I don't ilke IDEs, so I have no experience with them.  I
just use a tiny editor that is a subset of EMACS.  Certain commands
like compile-it do some of the IDE tasks.

And I hate C++.  I use C mostly.

So you my comments are not really applicable to you.

| Also I'm looking for two (third is not as important) specific features I've
| not found together yet:
|
| 1. Tabs for multiple files

I don't want to use a mouse.  EMACS' multiple buffers would seem to do
what you want here, but I'm not sure.  xemacs seems to provide tabs for
multiple buffers.

| 2. Code indexing (highlight a function or class name and jump to its
| implementation)

EMACS can do that.  Even the subset I use can.  So can vi and its
children.  See ctags(1).

| 3. Refactoring (change all instances of variable or function name in all
| source files)

To me, the word "refactoring" means something much more than a simple
rename.  A simple rename would seem to be easy for most editors (with
user assistance to protect against false positive matches).

| Eclipse (with the add-on for C++) does some but the indexing is not very
| well-implemented, last I tried it hardly worked. Also, Eclipse is really slow,
| so I was hoping to find a native client. KDevelop is missing the indexing,
| maybe also the refactoring.

I'm sad to hear Eclipse is slow.  I thought I remembered proponents
saying that it wasn't slow (the first thing any skeptic asks about
something implemented in Java).

| I use gvim right now but it obviously doesn't have the refactoring and
| indexing since it's not an IDE.. but if vim plugins existed for these then
| that would be great.

See ctags(1).  Not automatic, but make can handle that kind of task.