OT: Assaulted Over Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 12 21:34:52 UTC 2009

| From: Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
| > | From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
| >
| > |   Most of those american cars are mainly build in south
| > | America and other countries where labour is cheap.
| >
| > I only agree with part of what you said.  This part seems particularly
| > odd.  Unless you meant "the Southern US" instead of "south America".
|
| Mexico, Canada and China with profits going who-knows-where:
|
| <http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-03-22-american-usat_N.htm>

Two years old.  Notice that it says Chrysler is German-owned.  But
apparently profits are non-existant now so they aren't going anywhere.

Accounting for sourcing is a mess.  There's this concept "value for
duty", for example.  That's how come apple juice from Chinese
concentrate can say "Made in Canada".  That's how come the Canadian
Revenue Agency claims Chrysler is offside to the tune of
$1,000,000,000.  Chrysler (yesterday) demanded that the government
drop that claim as one precondition among several or they would stop
manufacturing in Canada.

http://business.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090311.wchryslerCanada0311/BNStory/Business/home

| The "buy American" campaign is just a lot of stupid advertising.

We wish.  It appears to be creating a lot of mischief.  US
Infrastructure bills are apparently demanding US-origin iron, steel,
and other manufactured goods.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090311.RBUYAMERICAN11/TPStory/?query=steel+bill