OT: Assaulted Over Linux

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 12 03:07:04 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Thomas Milne wrote:
>>>
>>> what's that quote about 'then they fight you, then you win'? ;)
>>
>> I've never understood how, in the USA, the land of free markets, there can
>> so often be the attitude that they're taking our jurbs!".
>>
>> Either they make a better product.
>> Or they sell it at a better price.
>> Or they offer better service.
>> Or some combination of the three.
>>
>>  In any instance, it's the free market at play, isn't it?
>>
>>  It's the same with these damned bumber stickers I see "Still have a job?
>> Then keep driving foreign.". Sorry, If a company can do better than you,
>> then you need to work harder.
>>
>> Madi
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>

>>> "Still have a job? Then keep driving foreign."
>
> It amazes me that people (in both Canada and the US), would rather
> blame my intelligent purchasing decisions over somebody else's poor
> business decisions.

Really? It doesn't amaze me at all. This view is deliberately
encouraged by right-wing American pundits like Lou Dobbs and Rush
Limbaugh ad nauseam. I mean really, you're talking about a country
where a third of the population is functionally illiterate.

I can guarantee you would find a lot less of this kind of nonsense in
Canada, though. Not because we are any more informed, although I
believe we are, but because we are deliberately encouraged by the
propagandists in our country to believe we are not even worthy of
having a thriving entrepeneurial class. The Conservatives have spent
the last few years making sure that Canada's economy is utterly
subservient to the US, and nutjobs like those in the Fraser Institue
spare no expense producing 'research' that shows we are better off as
slaves to the rapacious greed of global syndicates.

This story is not surprising at all, it is the direct result of
jingoistic right wing American propaganda.