OT: Assaulted Over Linux

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 11 21:59:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Peter <plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Madison Kelly <linux at ...> writes:
>>    In any instance, it's the free market at play, isn't it?
>
> As a foreigner (fm. Europe) I do not resent the shenanigans pulled here by
> various  parties to increase their business (or share thereof), having seen such
> and worse elsewhere, what I strongly resent is the hypocrisy of calling the
> pork-and/or-union lined and taxed to death remains of a once upon a time
> famously free economy 'free' or 'open'.
>
> Among other discoveries I made here (in Canada) were:
>
> - The number of trades not regulated by trade corporations or unions (an thus
> open for 'outsiders' and implicitly to open fair competition in the job market)
> can be counted on the fingers of one hand - to the point where inter-provincial
> moves in certain trades are next to impossible.
> - The costs of doing business freelancing or employing someone are among the
> highest on this planet, and certainly on par with such costs in Europe.
> - The real tangible (not financial) benefits from standard mandatory (!)
> insurance (OHIP, house, employment insurance etc.) in case of need are in the
> 'hahaha, rofl - laugh if you can laugh' range. One better have cash reserves if
> going into hospital or god forbid some emergency, regardless of insurance.
>
> As I said, I am not criticizing the situation, just the hypocrisy of calling it
> any more 'free' or 'open for business' than anywhere else (like, f.ex. in
> Europe). The standard of living is certainly high, and life expectation and so
> on are very good, but please turn the 'hypocrisy' knob way way down from its
> present setting, and keep it there.
>
> This is not a personal attack or a direct or indirect response to anyone,
> especially not to the original poster or to Madison, it is meant as general
> procrastination / venting my opinions. I apologize in advance if I offend
> someone's feelings with this posting, it is not meant to be insulting.
>
> Peter

All true enough. Sometimes it seems that you have to laugh at the
absurdity of the situation to keep from crying.

In a great number of cases, the market seems to only be "free" to
inside players or those with big wads of cash to buy/bribe their way
into bigger wads of cash. After all, if a free market did exist, we
wouldn't have to consider bailouts or other such things at all.