The Linux Game Tome

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 11 15:26:11 UTC 2009

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> Wormux is a great game. Between it and Frozen-Bubble one can waste a
> lot of time (but have fun).
>
> One thing I find sad though is that a lot of the more popular 'nix
> games are basically (enhanced) clones of existing games, with wormux
> being obviously derived from Worms, and FB's principals having been a
> long-standing arcade-game.
>
> Anyone know any original linux games? World of Goo comes to mind,
> though it's a cross-platform and not purely Linux game.

Yeah, Battle for Wesnoth is probably the most known. I'm not sure if
these have been done but they seem original: Neverball, Enigma,
Darwinia, though their genre has definitely seen quite a lot like them..
but that goes for Wesnoth as well.

It's hard to be original in games these days in general, even harder if
you have no resources except for self-motivation to work on them. That's
why I hope to see a "Open Source Game Development" organization that
will support these efforts in the future .. even if I have to be the one
to start it.

I have a few great ideas, but yeah, but nobody's willing to pay me for
them.... (yet!)..... on my time off I tend to not want to do stuff that
resembles work, so it's hard to get anywhere.

Marc

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is the inability to
understand the exponential function.