OT: Assaulted Over Linux

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 11 15:07:59 UTC 2009

Madison Kelly <linux at ...> writes:
>    In any instance, it's the free market at play, isn't it?

As a foreigner (fm. Europe) I do not resent the shenanigans pulled here by
various  parties to increase their business (or share thereof), having seen such
and worse elsewhere, what I strongly resent is the hypocrisy of calling the
pork-and/or-union lined and taxed to death remains of a once upon a time
famously free economy 'free' or 'open'.

Among other discoveries I made here (in Canada) were:

- The number of trades not regulated by trade corporations or unions (an thus
open for 'outsiders' and implicitly to open fair competition in the job market)
can be counted on the fingers of one hand - to the point where inter-provincial
moves in certain trades are next to impossible.
- The costs of doing business freelancing or employing someone are among the
highest on this planet, and certainly on par with such costs in Europe.
- The real tangible (not financial) benefits from standard mandatory (!)
insurance (OHIP, house, employment insurance etc.) in case of need are in the
'hahaha, rofl - laugh if you can laugh' range. One better have cash reserves if
going into hospital or god forbid some emergency, regardless of insurance.

As I said, I am not criticizing the situation, just the hypocrisy of calling it
any more 'free' or 'open for business' than anywhere else (like, f.ex. in
Europe). The standard of living is certainly high, and life expectation and so
on are very good, but please turn the 'hypocrisy' knob way way down from its
present setting, and keep it there.

This is not a personal attack or a direct or indirect response to anyone,
especially not to the original poster or to Madison, it is meant as general
procrastination / venting my opinions. I apologize in advance if I offend
someone's feelings with this posting, it is not meant to be insulting.

Peter