syslog configuration

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 10 20:53:02 UTC 2009

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| Added  "snmpd.none" on the 7th line in syslog.conf file :
| *.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;snmpd.none               /var/log/messages
|
| Then added this line at the end of the file
|
| local1.*                                                -/var/log/snmpd.log
|
| Then restarted syslog. It came up, but complained it has no idea what snmpd meant. And nothing changed, snmp keep pushing crap on the message file.

| No luck. I have also looked through the snmp manual and it found nothing helpful there.

Read rsyslog.conf(5) (at least on my system, Fedora 10).

The format of a selector is facility.priority.  "snmpd" isn't a
facility.

    The facility is one of the following keywords: auth, authpriv,
    cron, daemon, kern, lpr, mail, mark, news, security (same as
    auth), syslog, user, uucp and local0 through local7. The keyword
    security should not be used anymore and mark is only for internal
    use and therefore should not be used in applications.  Anyway, you
    may want to specify and redirect these messages here.  The
    facility specifies the subsystem that produced the message, i.e.
    all mail programs log with the mail facility (LOG_MAIL) if they
    log using syslog.

That explains your error message.  I don't remember at the moment how
one is supposed to do what you want to do.