Comments on another CRTC draft submission

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 10 01:50:47 UTC 2009

> Are you a party?  Am I?

  Yes.  This is bureaucratic legalese that covers any person, group,
corporation, etc.

> Would we have to have made an earlier submission to become a party?

  No.  That's not listed as a requirement.

  See http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/g4.htm for general procedures.
Go to http://support.crtc.gc.ca/rapidscin/default.aspx?lang=en and click
on the button for 2008-11-1.  This takes you to step 3 of a 6-step
process.  Submit comments via the form or fax or postal mail.  If
uploading a text file, I assume I should feed it through "unix2dos"
first.  There are no more opportunities to make an appearance for an
oral presentation.  You have to have a good reason to be allowed to make
an appearance and oral presentation at the hearings.

  I've rarely commented, and definitely not about cable.  Since I'm in a
6th floor condo with a clear SSE view from Buffalo, I can get 16 digital
stations OTA (Over The Air) out of Toronto and Buffalo with an indoor
antenna.  A significant chunk of their schedule, especially weekend
sports and evening prime-time, are in high definition.  In addition
there are 3 non-duplicate digital sub-channels and  I get TVO in analogue
because it won't be going digital until the last moment (August 31,
2011).  I've looked at Rogers' website, and I priced it out at $51.90
per month, out-of-pocket, to duplicate what I get for free with a good
indoor antenna.  So thanks, but no thanks, Rogers.

  The internet issue affects me personally, so I'm commenting.  Another
option to consider is writing to your MP and asking that the broadcast
act be revised to strip the CRTC of its ability to regulate the internet
as a broadcast regulator.

  To clarify things, the CRTC has jurisdiction to regulate the net as a
telecomm regulator and (so it claims) as a broadcast regulator.