Any Opinions On This Laptop for Linux, any other suggestions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 9 16:35:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 12:28:36PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> In the support work I do, I've seen endless troubles with Dell's. They
> also pull tricks like not charging their battery if you use a
> third-party charger.

Yeah there is that too.  Of course a few years ago a lot of their models
tended to stop charging the batteries after 6 to 12 months no matter
what power supply you used.  They unfortunate users were those where it
happend after 13 months when Dell no longer paid for it.  Apparently a
new mainboard for a Dell model no longer in production isn't cheap.

> I've had wonderful luck with ASUS myself. When I had a trouble with my
> Eee's screen and needed to get it replaced, it was an honest to goodness
> pleasant experience. They let me drop it off at their depot in the GTA
> and less than 24h it was ready for pickup. No arguments, no paper work
> (beyond one sheet I returned when picking it up).

Yeah the asus place in markham is amazingly fast.  I have never had
anything take over 24 hours.  I have no idea what kind of spare parts
inventory they must keep in that building.

--
Len Sorensen