Any Opinions On This Laptop for Linux, any other suggestions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 9 16:33:08 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 03:31:04AM -0500, jim ruxton wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new laptop. Right now I'm looking at a Dell
> M1530.  The one on the right here. It has:
> Intel?? Core??? 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB
> 4 GB Ram
> 256MB NVIDIA?? GeForce?? 8600M GT
> http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/upsell_1530_systems?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs
>
> It will be around 1300.00 + taxes . Can anyone recommend anything else
> that will be Linux friendly with similar components. I've been using HP
> but couldn't find anything similar locally. I'd like to stay with Nvidia
> cards as I've found they work well with Linux. Any advice is
> appreciated.

Well here is one that costs slightly more but has significantly higher
specs too (2.53GHz rather than 2.1GHz, nvidia 9650M GT with 1GB VRAM
rather than 256MB, 800mhz ram instead of 667mhz, intel 5100 wifi instead
of whatever a dell wifi adapter is (intel tends to have very good linux
support) although it appears you can have the intel instead of the dell
as an option).  The asus includes a bluttooth mouse and carying bag
(which tend to be rather nice) which are extras on the Dell.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=020863&cid=896.645

Another one at a bit less which still has a 1GB 9600M GS and a 2.26GHz
CPU.  1440x900 rather than 1280x800 display.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019320&cid=896.645

And another 2.5GHz, 9600M GT 1GB, 1440x900 display, etc.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019319&cid=896.645

So lots of choices.  So far my experience with laptops is:
Thinkspads work very well with linux in general.  Support is good although
you rarely need any.  Tends to cost a bit more, but might be explained
by the solid builds they tend to have.

Asus laptops usually work well with linux, although sometimes the hotkeys
need some acpi scripts to get working right.  Support is excellent
(and very fast if you need it).  Not built like a Thinkpad, but still
much more solid than their plastic may appear.  I can't believe what my
wife's tablet has survived so far.

HP/Compaq (at least consumer models) are crap.  Support stinks.
No idea on linux support.

Dell (both business and consumer models) are crap.  Support varies.
No idea on linux support.

--
Len Sorensen