Any Opinions On This Laptop for Linux, any other suggestions

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 9 16:28:36 UTC 2009

jim ruxton wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm in the market for a new laptop. Right now I'm looking at a Dell
> M1530.  The one on the right here. It has:
> Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB
> 4 GB Ram
> 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
> http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/upsell_1530_systems?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs
>
> It will be around 1300.00 + taxes . Can anyone recommend anything else
> that will be Linux friendly with similar components. I've been using HP
> but couldn't find anything similar locally. I'd like to stay with Nvidia
> cards as I've found they work well with Linux. Any advice is
> appreciated.
> Thnnks,
> Jim

In the support work I do, I've seen endless troubles with Dell's. They
also pull tricks like not charging their battery if you use a
third-party charger.

I've had wonderful luck with ASUS myself. When I had a trouble with my
Eee's screen and needed to get it replaced, it was an honest to goodness
pleasant experience. They let me drop it off at their depot in the GTA
and less than 24h it was ready for pickup. No arguments, no paper work
(beyond one sheet I returned when picking it up).

http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=019320&cid=896.645

An alternative is LG. A few clients of mine use LG and they've had very
good luck with them.

I couldn't find any LGs with nVidia to link. :)

Madi