no install-css.sh?

Meng Cheah meng-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 9 04:42:35 UTC 2009

Thomas Milne wrote:
> On a new Debian Lenny install, I followed the usual two-step to get
> DVD playback going, but I'm not getting the usual results. I installed
> libdvdread3, totem-xine libxine1-ffmpeg, then tried to run
> /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh, but this time there's no
> such script. :-\
>
> Is there some other method come along to replace this?

Maybe this may help?

from /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/README.Debian
libdvdread for Debian
---------------------

Many DVDs use CSS[0]. To play these discs, a special library is needed
to decode
them, libdvdcss. Due to legal problems in some particular countries,
Debian does
not distribute libdvdcss.

If it is legal for you to use CSS in your country, you can:

  * Install the packages from <http://www.debian-unofficial.org/>.

  * Manually download and compile the source code from
    <http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html>.

 [0] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System>

 -- Daniel Baumann <daniel-8fiUuRrzOP0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org>  Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:03:00 +0200