Linux 1, MacOS 0 (illegal gcc download for minors)

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 6 17:46:37 UTC 2009

Hi there,

> I'm relaxed, well-slept and it happens to be a very nice day
> outside. :)

Boy, you can say that again. Isn't it great out there? :-D

> I apologize for my post; it turns out I did get DVDs but they were
> cleverly camouflaged in the box.. the manuals etc. were packaged in
> what looked to me like space fillers.

Oh, that's good news.

> Still, it is a bit upsetting that you have to give apple your home
> address and be over 18 to download gcc as a minor.

Apple isn't capturing your information in order to give you gcc; it's
to give you access to the Xcode suite, of which gcc is just a part
(albeit an important one!). While you may never use Xcode, Interface
Builder and all the rest, it's for those people that Apple provides
the online ADC membership, as well as access to a vast library of
online resources. There's a significant corporate effort to get these
tools into as many developers' hands as possible, so I don't begrudge
them the desire to ask for a small profile in exchange for it.

And as you now note, you don't even need to get an ADC membership: the
tools come in the box.

Welcome to ProprietaryLand! The views are great, but there are some
chains. ;-)

Cheers!
Aaron.