Process consuming space

Jose jtc-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 5 14:07:27 UTC 2009

Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I've seen this happen wherein a process (such as apache, mysql, etc)
> was writing a log, and some other process (or person) removed/moved
> the log without notifying the owner..
> Since the owning process hasn't restarted, it won't release the handle
> on the logfile, and thus the filesystem was still counting it as being
> open, but the file itself did not appear to exist anymore.
>
> Which of course makes it a real bugger to track down, but perhaps it
> was just a stuck logfile or something that had been deleted/rotated
> already but not released?
>
> - TJA
>

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Jose <jtc-vS8X3Ji+8Wg6e3DpGhMbh2oLBQzVVOGK at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I had a problem with a process consuming space today, seems like a user
>> panic with probably some huge report and kill the app, but the underline
>> process continue to run and it consume all of my data partition, I couldn't
>> get to know which process was the culprit because they decided to reboot the
>> app, is there any way to know how to check for a process consuming space or
>> having a huge space allocation?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help
>>
>> Jose
>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/

Yeah, that was the problem, but there was more to your point, this one
continue to grab any available space, so what ever we cleaned up it was
consumed back by this fanthom process, but I would like to see if there
is anyway to trap this type of processes as we have like 300-500 user
processes running the same app at peak time and is not easy to identify,
any suggestions?

Thanks again

Jose