/etc/X11/xorg.conf in lenny [wasNvidia on new Debian Testing system]

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 5 05:23:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Meng Cheah <meng-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> This is interesting. I thought I'd check my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> I'm using a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 on lenny with no problems.
>
> The devices are identified as just "configured whatever device".
> This is autoconfiguration taken to obscurity :-)
> My /etc/X11/xorg.conf is below.
>
> Regards
>
> Meng
>

> # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
> #
> # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
> # values from the debconf database.
> #
> # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
> # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
> #
> # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
> # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
> # package.
> #
> # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
> # again, run the following command:
> #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
>   Driver        "kbd"
>   Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
>   Option        "XkbModel"    "pc104"
>   Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>   Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
>   Driver        "mouse"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>   Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>   Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>   Identifier    "Default Screen"
>   Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection

Looks similar to mine, but it's not actually saying to use the nvidia
driver anywhere. Are you using the proprietary driver? If not xorg is
probably happily detecting everything with it's own drivers (on most
Ubuntus it does this as well), but you have the proprietary driver you
might use:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "kbd"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        Option          "NoLogo"        "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
        Defaultdepth    24
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"