Questions from a Linux user considering a Macbook

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 4 00:53:41 UTC 2009

| From: Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org>

| 1) Price: As has been said, at least in notebook-land, I think it's
| pretty comparable *for comparable machines*.  iMacs also seem like
| fairly good deals.  This may be less true in server-land.

The lack of competition causes some surprises.

I have a 30" monitor that requires dual link DVI.  Same as the 30"
Apple monitor.

The Mac Mini looked cute but could not support Dual Link DVI.  Until
the just introduced one: it now can do dual link.  But it requires
this expensive "cable": http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB571Z/A
$109.00.  Besides plugging into the Display Port socket, it needs to
connect into a USB socket (probably just for power).  Yuck.

The Display Port supposedly saves $0.50 licensing fees for the DVI
consortium.  The ratio between $0.50 and $109.00 seems to make the
choice of Display Port silly.