security camera's and linux

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 2 17:26:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Your message suggests that you are thinking of real-time monitoring
> with only one camera.  If that is the case, why do you need a computer
> at all?

One idea I have pondered is delta monitoring.  The idea is to send an
alert if consecutive images differ by more than a small threshold.  The
tricky bit would be figuring out an efficient way to do the delta
calculation.

This approach is not compatible with indoor cats.  Of course this problem
applies to many security systems.

> How quickly do you expect "authorities" to responds?  My guess is that
> most burglars have evolved behaviour that is quick enough that they
> are done before police respond.  (But maybe I've watched too much TV.)

I understand a burglar normally spends an average of about 3 minutes
inside a house so catching them in the act is very difficult.

OTOH, police are normally familiar with the "likely suspects" in any given
area and may be able to use video footage to identify the person well
enough so they know who to call on.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy