NewTLUG and Seneca?

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 2 15:57:35 UTC 2009

Just to add my own two cents into the fray...

I think another factor that affects meeting attendance is one of the
original comments that there isn't enough notice given about the
meeting. Herb sends out the notice a day or two ahead of time, which
may not be enough. It's the same with TLUG (or GTALUG, or whatever
it's called these days). I get the notice 1 or 2 days before, and by
then, it's too late for me to rework my schedule to come out.

Another factor may be that there isn't a set topic list, that we kinda
come up with topics on the fly, usually because NewTLUG has had a
difficult time getting people other than the same 3 or 4 to speak
about something. Usually we're scrambling at the end to come up with
something to talk about.

Some ideas I had about this:

- At the next meeting, come up with a proposed schedule of the year,
soliciting topics from the attendees at one of the meetings. Don't
necessarily put speaker names next to the topics, just have a list of
them. That way, people know what topics are coming up, and can plan to
be at the ones they care about.

- Have some sort of RSVP system (like Matt mentioned), so the
organizers can get an idea as to how many people are willing to
attend.

- Send out an email reminder notice a week ahead of time. Something
simple, with the topic discussed, speaker (if assigned), and again a
reminder to send an RSVP if you're going to attend.

- Have somewhere online that lists the topics select for each month,
and make sure it's updated with speaker info, and also the meeting
locations (IBM, Seneca, York, wherever).

pm

--
Paul Mora
Registered Linux user #2065 <http://counter.li.org>