Presentations and presenters

Richard Weait richard-gNTHUr35LhcAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 2 14:47:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 10:57 -0500, William Muriithi wrote:
> Richard,
> - I wonder if running samba with AD would count as an interesting
> presentation. Or setting up openldap, Kerberos etc to emulate AD as
> practically as possible.

Most any topic can be interesting when the presenter does a good job.
For Samba + AD + openldap + Kerberos, I'm guessing that there is a lot
of material  ;-).  So I'd suggest the presenter keep a really tight
focus on a specific task, rather than trying (in vain) to cover
everything.  So it might be:
- introduction to each tool and it's purpose. (AD does this, Kerberos
does that) - 5 min
- description of the goal.  (Build a music server for a small office
environment with multiple platforms) - 3 min
- go through the steps to get there.  Cover the key pitfalls to avoid
and interesting lessons learned. 40 - 80 min
- review and Q&A - 15 to 30 min
- applause, curtain call, encore, bow, exeunt.

> - On a more creative side, lots of people tend to think gimp have a
> higher learning curve than photoshop. I hope his would be an
> interesting topic for both novice and experienced Linux users.

I've done a brief intro to GIMP and seen good introductions to Blender
and Inkscape.  I'd love to see somebody demonstrate Scribus properly.

Madi said, but the attribution was lost:
>         >    If people want to throw out topics that interest them,
>         maybe someone
>         > who feels comfortable with one of the suggested topics will
>         take it on.
>         >
>         >    I can't think of anything right now, but I feel
>         comfortable
>         > presenting. Personally, I'd grab an interesting topic I
>         thought I could do.

Hear that?  That was the sound of Madi volunteering to do the topic of
our choice in March.  ;-)  What's it going to be, everybody?  I say,
"Scribus".

Best regards,
Richard