How about creating / developing FOSS? Re: what is the situation wrt. ideas created by employees while employed ? who owns them ?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 30 16:12:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Christopher Browne wrote:
> If the employee was not permitted to release the code, then
> that has adverse results all around.
>
> This is something I have specifically discussed with my
> company's HR department, as it would cause Major Heartburn to
> be unable to contribute to free software projects.

Well, this make sense if you develop the software in company
time. Will this still apply when you contribute to FOSS in your
own time?

> People can always lie,

People may not realize it. It is probably not a common sense
that what you do in your spare time with your own tool can be
owned by your employer. So one may contribute to a FOSS project
not knowing that. Later after few years, the company may realize
that (or some other lawyer suing the company), and seize all the
work contributed not only by that employee but all works done on
the top of it by others, rendering several years of works gone.
This obviously assuming the law works that way (which is my
question).

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/