How about creating / developing FOSS? Re: what is the situation wrt. ideas created by employees while employed ? who owns them ?

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 30 15:34:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Peter wrote:
> I.e. if A works for B and develops a product C independently
> from his 'daytime' work,

I thought about this before related to FOSS: if C above
publishes the software products under a FOSS license, will that
hold? Can instead B claim ownership and invalidate that FOSS
release? Ok obviously this depend on the contract, but for the
sake of argument let's say the contract is the most evil one
where B is a software company and claim ownership of everything
C make. Will that contract hold against the published FOSS?

I think this is important since if that kind of contract can
make employer own the software developed under FOSS license,
means everybody involved in FOSS project must be careful about
their contract employment, and a FOSS project coordinator must
be careful about the employment of everybody donating to the
project.

Go up the ladder a bit, how about when C see a need for a tool
or library in his/her job, but instead develop it in-house and
let B own it, C start a new project in his/her own time (let's
in a vacation), using entirely his/her own tool, to develop that
tool / library as a FOSS. Later C use that tool / library in
his/her job with B (let's say B do allow using external FOSS
tool / library in the job). Will this work or can B claim
ownership?

In a related issue, what if C get a GPL library (not from C) for
his/her software project in B, and without consulting to B
publish the resulting software (which obviously will be required
to be GPL). Beside the fact that C maybe breaking its contract
and B can discipline C, can B "retract" the publication of the
resulting software under GPL?

--
    ____  ____  ____  ____ (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
   /___  /___/ /___/ /___      http://www.arifsaha.com/