Reviving ancient code

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 29 19:02:35 UTC 2009

> Awesome story. It's too bad that we don't have the Planetarium anymore,
> and that we're supposed to be a "world-class" city -- shame.
>> Anyone else have stories of having to retrieve code from a dusty
>> archive?
>> Can you beat the 17 year interval? ;).
>>
> This isn't my story, but the recent presentation at USENIX about how
> some folks got the Unix Version 1 running again was quite impressive:
>
> http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix09/tech/full_papers/toomey/toomey.pdf

Julian -

That's a fascinating paper, thanks for the pointer.

We don't have the planetarium, but the Royal Astronomical Society has
agreed to operate the David Dunlap Observatory in Richmond Hill.

http://observatoryhill.ca/news-details.php?id=37

If you're interested in seeing the big telescope there or observing
through amateur telescopes, keep an eye out for announcements on that site
or on the RASC Toronto Centre website

http://toronto.rasc.ca/

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto