bandwidth test for high capacity users

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 29 17:51:52 UTC 2009

| From: teddy mills <teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org>

| http://files.syncleus.com/pub/dANN/binary/java_dann-1.0-bin.tar.gz

| My Rogers at home maximum download is 10Mbits/sec.(my times were 1.2MB/sec and
| about 15 seconds)
| If I download locally at work, the 20MB download is instant.

| 1. how long your download takes in seconds
| 2. your maximum download bandwidth in mbits (provide this only if you want to)

To reduce the variables, you should consider telling us the test
methodology.  Time-of-day may matter given the (undocumented) traffic
shaping policies of various actors.

Possible script (roughly what I used):
	# to reduce DNS contribution to the timing
	ping -c 1 files.syncleus.com
	# optional: traceroute files.syncleus.com
	date
	time wget http://files.syncleus.com/pub/dANN/binary/java_dann-1.0-bin.tar.gz

On one of my machines, connected through a home-built router to Rogers
"Extreme" service (I think that is the marketing name).

    real	0m20.043s
    user	0m0.094s
    sys	0m0.597s

On a different home-built router, connected bia Bell ADSL to LOOK.
    real    0m40.725s
    user    0m0.300s
    sys     0m1.510s

Both were done about 13:35 today.