Reviving ancient code

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 29 02:53:22 UTC 2009

There were 4 copies of the software and documentation, each one on a 3.5"
floppy disk. Three were completely readable. One was partially readable.

I didn't think of it at the time, but it would have been a good idea  to
put the backups on different kinds of media. However, CDR had not been
invented at the time, and I didn't have tape backup. So I didn't have a
lot of choice. Anyway, if it's feasible, multiple backups are somewhat
better than one backup.

They were stored in a plastic floppy disk container, not sealed, in a
reasonably dry Toronto basement. So nothing special about the storage.

I had a paper listing of the main turbo pascal control program. Initially,
before I found the floppies, I thought they might have to scan and OCR the
listing. Fortunately that was not necessary.

They were very, very, very, happy to get the software, and I didn't charge
them for storage ;).

Peter