small flash cards for low prize?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 27 18:32:17 UTC 2009

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

>>> I do the most obvious thing that one could do. I hit reply and
>>> change subject. If this is causing problems than the software for
>>> archives does not work properly. The mailing list itself does work
>>> properly.
>>
>> I disagree. You are not replying by starting a new thread. In fact,
>> by hitting reply you are breaking things since RFC822 4.6.2 specifies
>> that messages can contain an optional In-Reply-To field in their
>> header. Since you are using Thunderbird and it adheres to the RFC (at
>> least 4.6.2), the most obvious thing (for you) breaks things (for
>> everyone else).
>>

> Then report the bug to Thunderbird.
>
> Excuse me please.

Excuse me.  Thuderbird is doing what it's supposed to.  When you reply
to a message, even if you change the subject, the thread remains.  So if
you reply to message subject ABC and change it to XYZ, anyone using
threaded view will find your XYZ message mixed in with the ABC thread.
It is the message number, not the message subject that determines this.