question about resizing partitions under lvm

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 27 13:39:32 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Richard Dice<rdice-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Since I've not done this before, I wanted to get a basic sanity check out
> there from people who are hopefully more familiar with this kind of thing.
> My plan is (in pseudocode):
>
> umount /var
> resize2fs /dev/mapper/vg00-var -100G
> lvreduce /dev/mapper/vg00-var -100G
> umount /home
> lvextend /dev/mapper/vg00-home +100G
> resize2f /dev/mapper/vg00-home +100G
> mount /home
> mount /var
>
> Does this make sense?  Do I need to worry about whether the /home and /var
> partitions are adjacent, given that I'm doing this all under lvm?

I've only ever made partitions larger by allocating
previously-unallocated space, and I've only ever done it on reiserfs
filesystems, but the steps you suggest look logical to me.  I think
resizing resierfs volumes can be done without unmounting first, but I
don't know if that applies to ext3 volumes.

Ian