small flash cards for low prize?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 26 17:04:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:00:39PM +0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> You may wonder why I am asking such strange question...
>
> We all know that costs of flash memory sticks drops down like crazy. A
> something that was 100 $ a 5 years ago is now ... well.. it is nowhere
> now.
>
> I would love to buy even a 1 MB SSD USB memory stick for 1 $. I would
> buy them perhaps in 100 amount. Why?
>
> Because thats a great medium for advertising: lets imagine that I am at
> a big international conference of physicists and I would like to
> everyone who become interested in my poster presentation to handle a
> digital copy of presentation plus other works I did during last 53
> years. Sure, I could give a copy of CD. But SSD memory stick is easier
> to handle. CD they will throw away while that small device they will
> keep for ever near to their garbage can. And what if it was somewhat
> more than 1.2 MB ? Than we could put a copy of Slackware 1.0 there as
> well...

I think unfortunately there is a cost for the plastic case, the connector,
etc.

You just won't get one for $1 I suspect, although they seem to be getting
awfully close.

Certainly a number of places seem to advertise 64MB or 128MB usb keys
with your logo printed on them and perhaps even your data loaded onto
them for about $2.50 each.  Not quite $1, but close.

I think 100 might be possible, although some places appear to prefer
orders of 1000.  After all they have to load your stuff into the system,
and hit go, and deal with payment and all that.  For 100 pieces that
doesn't leave much for profits.  For 1000 it works out much better.

--
Len Sorensen